Royal Bombay Yacht Club
The Royal Bombay Yacht Club (RBYC) is one of the oldest and most elite clubs in Bombay. Situated against the backdrop of the scenic harbour In Cotaba, this prestigious club was founded in 1846 as simply the Bombay Yacht Club. It was Queen Victoria who graciously bestowed the title of ‘Royal’ upon the club in 1876.
The structure, built in the Gothic style, was designed by John Adams and its construction supervised by FW Stevens
In 1880, the (waterfront) Club House was built. In 1894, the Commissioners of the Lord High Admiral bestowed upon the Club, the Blue Ensign of Her Majesty Fleet with a Star of India surmounted by the Imperial Crown. The Residential Chambers of the Club were completed in 1896.
This prestigious club has played host to royalties like the Prince and Princess of Wales. Some of
its highlights include:
* Resignation of the Governor Sir James Ferguson as Patron of the Club
* Lord George Harris meeting with WK Vanderbilt, winner of the America’s Cup
* The Royal Engineers stellar participation in the sailing races
* Admission of the first honorary lady member, the only recipient of Florence Nightingale, Royal
Red Cross and the Kaiser-i-Hind (Empress of India) medals
* Pursuit of wealth by the Sassoons, the only Asians to be members of the Club
* Request from the Taj Mahal Palace hotel to schedule the Club dances on ditferent dates as it
affected their business
*The mutinous Royal Indian Navy ratings swinging their Ship’s gun turret in the direction of the
* The touching farewell reception on the Club lawns to the Somerset Light Infantry — the last
British battalion in India to leave for England
* The acquisition of the (waterfront) Club House by the Bombay Port Trust
* The merger of the ‘only Europeans’ Bombay Club with the RBYC
* The building of Suhailli by Philip Bragg — the first yacht to sail solo non-stop around the world
Today, entry into the cIub is by invite only.