Improvement Trust Office
The end of the 19th century were troubled times for the city of Bombay; an epidemic of bubonic plague cost many lives, but it also led to the formation of the Bombay City Improvement Trust.
The Trust was created through an Act of the Parliament on December 9, 1898, to improve the sanitary and living conditions of the city, and to also later develop the suburbs for residential purposes as the city area was getting overcrowded.
The Municipal Corporation and the government handed over all vacant lands to the CIT. In turn, the Trust took on the job of widening the roads in the crowded parts of southern and central Bombay. A new east-west road, called Princess Street, was laid out to channel the air from the sea into the centre of the crammed residential areas. The north-south Sydenham Road (now Mohammed Alt Road) was also constructed with the same intention.
Suburban development along Dadar, Matunga, Wadala and Sion began in 1899 to ease the congestion in the southern parts of the city. Well planned and laid out plots with mixed land-use patterns marked these sections. The project was completed in 1900 with access to these areas possible through the newly completed Mohammed Ah Road.