The Bombay High Court was inaugurated on August 14, 1862. Work on the building commenced in April 1871 and was completed in November 1878.
British engineer Colonel J A Fuller designed the structure. The architecture portrays a Gothic revival of the early English style, and was built with local black basalt. The building is 171 metres (562 feet) long and 57 metres (187 feet) wide. To the west of the central tower are two octagonal towers. The statues of Justice and Mercy are atop this building.
The first sitting in this building was on January 10, 1879. The sanctioned strength of judges is 75, while the court handles a total of 3.4 lakh cases (both civil and criminal), and operates at a capacity of 1:1.61 million, on a judges to people ratio.
The Bombay High is the High Court of India with jurisdiction over the states of Maharashtra and Goa, and the Union Territories of Daman and Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli. The State High Court has regional benches at Nagpur and Aurangabad in Maharashtra and Panaji, Goa. In Bombay, it has Original Jurisdiction in addition to its Appellates.
Even though the city’s name was changed from Bombay to Mumbai in 1995 to befit the native sentiment, the Bombay High Court did not follow suit.