Full View of Amphitheatre
The area that is known as Apollo Bunder was initially lust a maze of docks and wharves till the early 1900s when the British government decided to reclaim the land in order to build a welcoming arch to receive King George V and Queen Mary during their forthcoming visit.
It was S V Rajadhakshya, the chief civil engineer (Public Works Department) during the British Raj, who built Apollo Bunder in 1908. The word ‘Apollo’ is derived from ‘PoIle’ of the native Konkani language and corrupted by the English from the Portuguese ‘Pollem’ to Apollo.
Though there was no beach at Apollo Bunder, locals would often visit the area to sit on the stone steps and pass their time. In those days, the British had started the practice of military bands entertaining the public at certain locations around town, and the Bunder was one of the popular venues
An amphitheatre was constructed to entertain the public. In its place today stands the Gateway of India. It was designed by George Wittet to commemorate the first-ever visit of a British monarch to India. Although the amphitheatre doesn’t exist anymore, locals and tourists still flock the area today.