Elphinstone Circle was laid out in 1869 on the site of old Bombay Greens in the Fort area of the city. The buildings were designed by James Scott as part of the redevelopment of Bombay which began under the Governorship of Sir Bartle Frére in the 1860s. Post Independence, the circle was renamed Horniman Circle after Benjamin Horniman, an English journalist and the editor of Bombay Chronicle who supported the Independence movement.
The garden is a large park covering an area of 10,101 square metres (108.726 square feet). Around the garden are office complexes that house some of the country’s premier banks. Before construction began, the area was a dump for coconut shells and other debris. It was converted into its present glory thanks to the then Police Commissioner, Charles Forjett, who thought of developing the area. His idea was supported by governors Lord Elphinstone and Sir Bartle Frére.
The garden was laid out in 1869 and completed in 1872 with welt laid out walkways and trees planted all around. The whole complex was then renamed Elphinstone Circle after the Governor. An ornamental fountain was placed in the centre, but it was replaced by a modern art deco iron pipes design. And, during the British Raj, a band would perform in the area every evening. Today, it is also one of the venues of the Kale Ghoda Arts Festival that hosts several music and dance shows.