The end of the 19th century was troubled times for the city of Bombay; an epidemic of bubonic plague cost many lives, but it also led to the formation of the Bombay City Improvement Trust. The Trust was created through an Act of the Parliament on December 9, 1898,to improve the sanitary and living conditions of the city, and to also later develop the suburbs for residential purposes as the city area was getting overcrowded.
The Municipal Corporation and the government handed over all vacant lands to the CIT. In turn, the Trust took on the job of widening the roads in the crowded parts of southern and central Bombay.
The Trust reclaimed 75,000 square metres (807,293 square feet) on the western shore of Colaba, despite the move being opposed by eminent citizens of the city who feared a depression of land prices. Nevertheless, the reclamation work continued and was completed in 1905 without a resulting fall in
land prices. However, the development of Colaba pushed the native Kolis to the edges of the island.
In 1906, a seafront road with a raised seaside promenade was completed and called ‘Cuffe Parade’ after TW Cuffe of the Trust. Located at the southernmost region of the city just north of Navy Nagar, Cuffe Parade is an up market neighbourhood with notable residents including the Members of the Ambani and Husain families
The area was mainly developed in the 1960s with many of the building towering over 30 storeys high.