Colaba Railway Station
Colaba gets Its name from ‘Kolabhat’, a word in the language of the Kolis, the indigenous inhabitants of the islands. The area initially consisted of two islands. Colaba and Little Colaba, which were ruled by the Portuguese. Portugal continued to hold Little Colaba for several decades more before ceding it to the English in about 1762.
In 1743, British Colaba was leased to Richard Broughtman at an annual rate of Rs 200. By 1796, Colaba became a cantonment, and then gradually, a commercial centre. In 1872, Colaba became a separate municipality ward.
The Bombay, Baroda, and Central India (BB&CI) Railway established the Colaba Terminus, and started the first suburban railway in India between Virar and Colaba in 1867. The Frontier Mail was flagged off on September 1, 1928 from Colaba Terminus.
From 1896 to 1930, Colaba station served the residents of Fort and the adjoining areas, but was increasingly rendered inadequate for the growing passenger load and could not be extended. The station was shut down in the 1930s,
The site is now occupied by the Badhwar Park layout located at Wodehouse Road. It serves as the residential complex of the Indian Central Railway and Western Railway officers. There was a preserved section of the railway platform with tracks near the clubhouse building.